Friday, September 11, 2009

We have been in New England for a month now. It has taken FOREVER to get internet into our apartment and that is why it has taken me so long to update. Let me tell you…. I am a much more productive person without the internet! So… let me tell you a little about the place we call home: It used to be a cotton mill in the mid 18th century. Our city is actual a boom town that came to be during the Industrial Revolution (a future post). There is a lot of history here. Part of our building is a museum and we live in part of a National Historic Park, with a trolley right outside! We live on the 6th floor (the top). We take in elevator to get around; at first it felt like living in a hotel, and our car is parked in a heated garage across the street (no scrapping snow and ice)! It has taken getting used to, planning enough time to get the car before we go places. Speaking of getting around: it takes forever to get anywhere! I am slowly getting my bearings. It was very claustrophobic at first. The trees are everywhere, on the freeway you can’t see through them. It was culture shock at first. I am trying not to murmur. Our ceilings are at least 25 feet high with exposed beams and exposed building supports (poles). It is the largest square footage we have ever lived in, thank goodness because we had to stick our entire garage somewhere in our living space. We have succeeded because we have a den/office. Unfortunately the previous tenants were smokers and well you know how that is. The smell is getting better but still around. Last night at 11:30 the fire alarm went off. That was fun. By the time we gathered important papers, got the kids in shoes, woke up the baby and got down to the second floor by using the stairs, the fire department came in and told us it was just an alarm with no fire! It was 2 am by the time H and P fell back to sleep. Speaking of smoking…..EVERYONE smokes here. I even see the high schoolers walking to school…. smoking!
The girls are at the same school this year, P in Pre-K and H in 1st grade. The school is at a brand new facility that isn’t actually complete yet, which makes drop-off and pick-up a fiasco! The principal gave us a tour before school started and we were quite impressed. It is not the best school in the area, but definitely a place where the kids will enjoy learning and have a good time. H gets to have a different special each day: technology/social studies (taught through the computer), art (taught by a local area artist), gym (complete with a climbing wall), music (I wish I had that in my elementary school), and science (with a real live lab, like the one’s in high school). P is only in her first week of school, but of course she has already made friends and loves going. Her teacher will be having a baby soon, hopefully we will be meeting the new teacher soon! E is growing… 14 pounds and 25 inches long. Everyone things she is older that her 4 ½ months because she is so long. I think she is working on some teeth, she bites everything and drools. As for D. The train commute is 2 hours door to door. He walks to the train, walks to the subway and then walks to his friend’s dorm. After getting there they workout using the schools brand new 5 story gym. Then study, eat, study and go to class. The university takes up a long street in southwest Boston. We took a chance to see it on Labor Day. It is beautiful. It runs right alongside the Charles River. D does A LOT of walking! While the law school is in one building, one must walk to get anywhere else.Studying is keeping him busy and the curriculum is challenging, but for the first time in his college career he doesn’t have any other responsibilities but to study. I think he likes that, and he likes being on a college campus again. ULV was not on a main campus.
The ward we moved into is great. On fast Sunday, all but 2 of the testimonies were translated into from Portuguese! We have been introduced to some great families that we are excited to get to know better.For the Labor Day weekend we went to the beach. It was one of the first beaches that the pilgrims saw when they arrived here. The sand is very white, the water was surprisingly clear and there of course were only small waves, oh and the water was super cold. The sun is very different here, it just zaps you. We also hit the city, where we went to Boston Common, rode the subway and stopped by BU. I am very glad that we don’t live IN the city. It is crowded and stinky and not kid friendly!
Fall weather is already settling in, it sort of feels like California during Easter time. Cool, and comfortable, light jacket weather. The leaves are starting to change, which I am very excited for! Ok… I think that is enough for one post. There is so much more to tell you. I am excited to share in our adventure and bear testimony of how mindful the Lord is of each of us. He cares for us and helps us grow in ways we just can’t imagine!

Ta Ta for now...pictures to come

7 comments:

Moss Family said...

ooooo...I have been checking EVERYDAY, waiting and hoping for updates. I can't wait to see pix!
It sounds like you have had some major adventures this last month....this year will for sure make for some BIG journaling entries!!! I want to see fall time in Boston so bad...I am so excited for you to see all those pretty leaves change colors!

Shaunna said...

Wow Wendy it sounds like you have gone through so much in the last few months. I can't wait to see some pictures of this new city. Since I have never been to Boston I will definitly be coming to visit you in the near future. Let me know when is good for you. I miss you tons and wish I could just drive to your house and hang out. Dave sounds so busy with school, I promise it will go by quickly and then you will look back and wonder where all the time went. I love you girl and post some pictures soon for all of us.

Heather said...

Wow! I'm fascinated by your living situations--an old Mill. You must post pictures. Moving to a new city and new culture is quite the adventure with a little family. It's one thing as a single or couple but with kids it's crazy. We didn't move too far out of our comfort zone but will probably be venturing further next year. Good luck and keep us posted.

The Qian Family said...

Love you! I hope we get to see you guys next summer. Thanks for the description of where you are and what your surroundings are like. It sounds so cool! Miss you and can't wait to see pics!

Adam & Rachel said...

great update...can't wait to see pictures. :)

Danny and Kristen Woodbury said...

I second Rachel's comment... the month lag was born with anxious awaiting... but WHERE ARE THE PICTURES! We want to SEE how W.H.E.P.D. are doing!! Do you like the acronym!? It sounds like wept... which is what we have been doing without you here!! On a side note, I do see Danny more in the evenings with Dave gone; not that I can fill that void. Danny tried to play Guitar Hero with me, but it just wasn't the same for him. :)

Jodi Jean said...

i;m telling ya ... the sun zaps you b/c we have a nice filtration in california, aka: SMOG!! hehe ... i love ya girl. i hope things are going well.