Wednesday, January 27, 2010

we start our mothering careers as rather ordinary looking clay pots with varied shapes and curves, and march directly into the refiners fire.

of course, a fire can either give luster and depth and strength or it can burn and destroy. how well we use the heat is the key.

we can feel the fire making us feel more patient and understanding in spite of ourselves. we can learn to handle the impossible situations with a smile. we can begin to understand the pure love of Christ as we love our husbands and children in spite of their "difficulties". we can learn to expect the inevitable disasters and disappointments of daily living with children.

we have to make very conscious decisions about HOW to remain in a higher realm or dreams become disasters and life lives us instead of vise versa. the fire begins to destroy rather than refine.

-linda eyre

i have let the fire burn and destroy rather than purify and refine. my mothering has come to a pivotal point. i realized that i needed an attitude adjustment. a MAJOR attitude adjustment. this is the main reason i haven't blogged. laziness getting a close second. but really i have been too consumed with trying to figure it all out and change.

i often worry about being too bold or too open with my real feelings in such a public setting. it's so juvenile for me to think 'what will people think' 'what will old high school friends and acquaintances think'
but i decided i am over it. who cares. i am happy with the human being i am becoming. i reserve the right to change my mind, and to see new light. i reserve the right to have an opinion... that's just an opinion. here's to more honesty in the posts to come.

i have been searching for a blog that documents the realities of motherhood. i have enjoyed stumbling across blogs of mother's who have older children. who seem to have figured out how to get all their ducks in a row. but no where have i seen the true and sometimes ugly life of a mom with young kids. probably because well, mom's of young kids are just plain old busy.
and yes my life is busy
i just want someone to commiserate with.



i think i have rambled enough for one day. i will post pictures soon. but really it's too cold to really do much around here so there won't be many

updates to come...

7 comments:

Sara G said...

I was at the park yesterday and another young mom whom I'd just met was talking about her son and how she feared the days of him taking naps were numbered. And how she kinda dreaded it, but then she quickly quipped "Only because naps are good for him, he's happier. It's not for selfish reasons that I dread it."

I thought "Oh Baloney!" I make my girls take naps PURELY for selfish reasons and I'm not afraid to admit it! Why are we so insecure as young moms? Have you noticed how I don't write much lately? I love my girls and I think they are beautiful. I love to witness them learning and growing. That is why I want to document it with pictures on the blog. But sometimes I'm not in the mood to be all chirpy and funny.

That said I think it would help me to write more about how I am learning and growing as a new mother, too. AND writing about it publicly gives others a chance to support, offer encouragement and also realize "whoa she seems to have it rough, too!" ;P

Thanks for the honesty...today was rough for me and I cannot wait until bedtime PURELY for selfish reasons! You are such a great lady!

Heather said...

Amen, WF. Amen, SG. I actually set up an email and a blog--nothing posted yet--that was completely anonymous just so I could really, truly write down my feelings without anyone looking at my picture and saying "Hmmmm, she needs some Prozac" or "She should be grateful she even has children" or "I would love to be a SAHM but I'm not so lucky and have to work."...

Anyway, as noble as motherhood is, it certainly has its moments that lack joy. I get so wound up at times with the noise, the constant demands, the fighting, the whining, the hassle of going anywhere, the constant cleaning, the lack of privacy and ownership--my kids think everything is theirs--that I feel like a ticking time bomb. Sometimes I just want to shout "I didn't sign up for THIS. THIS is not how I pictured my life." I guess that is my problem, the vision that I had/have for my life is incongruent with my reality. You know, after dealing with my children all day, sometimes I really don't like myself very much.

Okay, enough rambling. I look forward reading your thoughts on the subject of parenting young children. Commiserating is important. Love ya.

Scott and Kristine said...

Hug from far away...
Call me. I would love to hear about it and feel more normal.

Jenny said...

I don't blog the I want to strangle my children days. I call a friend and we play 'whose kid was the biggest moron' or 'who was the crappiest mom' and then we can laugh about it and move on to something more fun.

I just haven't figured out how to write it down in an actual cathartic, non depressing way.

I hope the sun comes out metaphorically and literally for you soon. Jan is so rough. Maybe you could turn on all the lights,close the blinds so you can't see the dead trees, put all the kids in their swimsuits and crank the heat up and eat Popsicles or something summery one day. We did that in Alaska and I think it helped.

A said...

Hi W, I don't know whether or not you remember me from Wyview, my name is Amber. I linked to your blog I think from Sara's a few weeks ago. Anyway, hello!

So are you talking about like when your kid wakes up screaming from his nap and you go in to get him to see that he has thrown up whole hot dog chunks he apparently didn't chew at lunch time so you can't just gather it up and throw it in the washer? That was today. And sorry for the graphic details.

I often wonder what the heck happened to myself? Why did I get a degree just to do nothing all day? My favorite phrase is, "I'm not just a pretty face you know!" But sometimes I'm not that either. More like a monster lady.

I don't think there's a mom on the planet that doesn't feel that way, at least sometimes. Even though we love our kids, it's not an easy job, and anyone who says is it must have a nanny!

Brittany said...

Sara and Wendy:

Thank you thank you for your blog post and comments. It's 11:30, i'm exhausted and so behind on sleep, i'm the only one awake in my house, but I refuse to go to bed yet because today was an especially hard day and I haven't had enough alone, sane time yet and the thought of having to wake up and do it all over again makes me cry. This is just what i needed.

I love my boys to death. i love love the tender moments, and cute moments, and moments when my hard work and efforts seem to pay off-- but there are some days that are just plain horrible. Sometimes i purposely stay away from blogs because i feel like every other blog pretends to be a "story book life" and it only makes me feel worse. and maybe its my bad attitude. no i don't want to always be reading and posting about negative, bad days, but i know that it would help me, and maybe others, to also add the hard days too and the lessons i'm learning. i LOVE to read about other young moms who struggle with real life, just like me, and are trying to figure it all out, just like me. we all know we love our kids more than anything, but its nice to be reminded that i'm not the only one who has incredibly frustrating days ...when LOTS of yelling may or may not be invloved =)

Thanks for sharing and for your honesty.

Qian Jia Ting said...

Wendy, your honesty has obviously touched many of us. We all need to let it out---in my opinion. I don't share everything, but I'm trying to share more because let's face it, life is good and crazy and we need support! We need to remember that we are not alone. Please keep sharing. I know we need space to work things out---I do that too, but don't underestimate the support you can get from our little blogging community! I think I should take my own advise.