Monday, February 1, 2010

the fun post

so... we have a little problem at our house....

we can't seem to get to church on time!

i HATE being late to anything!

so....we have instituted the "perfect attendance" award for our family.
with h being obsessed with her own school perfect attendance this award seems like it will be a great idea!

at the same time we have also added 3 other awards. these awards will be given out on Sunday night and can be rotated each week.

-biggest helper award
-nicest person to be around award
-perfect attendance (for the person ready the soonest on Sunday morn)
-neatest table manners award (this is a HUGE challenge at our house)

i have come to find out that starting these kinds of things in a family takes two factors:

-support (from the spouse, as in, 'yes, honey, that's a good idea, let's do it, and i will help you' )
-family excitement (a few years or even months ago, they would have had NO idea how fun this is going to be)

next week i'll tell you how it went


next fun thing:

i made this soup, with a few modifications and it was SO good! my kids loved it, i loved it and we finished the whole pot!

(modifications: i cut it in half, 2 chopped/seeded tomatoes instead of a can, 1 can of chicken instead of cooked. fyi: quinoa cooks just like rice, but rinse it first)


fun thing number three:

dads who do girls hair!





3 comments:

Desmama said...

Wow, I'm impressed you cooked with quinoa. I mean, I've eaten and maybe it's not hard to cook but it wasn't that tasty to eat. Maybe it was the way it was prepared.

Good for you for instituting those awards. Every time I try to institute some incentive program it just gets tossed by the wayside. *Sigh*

The Qian Family said...

Hey! William does Annabelle's hair too and I love that :) We also have a problem with being late or being on time but only because I've started yelling at everyone before we go, which is sort of ironic and hypocritical considering we are going to church! I love the idea of giving a prize to the person who is ready first. The other thing I tried was getting things in the car the night before (the church bag/their books/cheerios/etc.) Love ya!

Kiersta said...

Very Fun! I am loving your blog these days girl...very inspiring!